Artificial Intelligence: What It Is and Why It Matters?
According to the father of Artificial Intelligence, John McCarthy, it is “The science and engineering of making intelligent machines, particularly intelligent computer programs”.
Artificial Intelligence is a method for making a computer, a computer-controlled robot, or a software think intelligently, in the similar manner the intelligent humans think.
AI is refined by studying how human brain thinks, and how people learn, choose, and work while trying to solve a problem, and after that utilizing the results of this investigation as a basis of developing intelligent software and systems.
Objectives of AI
• To Create Expert Systems − The systems which exhibit intelligent behavior, learn, demonstrate, explain, and advice its users.
• To Implement Human Intelligence in Machines − Creating systems that understand, think, learn, and behave like humans.
What Contributes to AI?
Artificial intelligence is a science and innovation based on disciplines, for example, Computer Science, Biology, Psychology, Linguistics, Mathematics, and Engineering. A noteworthy push of AI is in the advancement of PC capacities associated with human intelligence, for example, thinking, learning, and problem-solving.
Out of the following areas, one or multiple areas can contribute to building an intelligent system.
Utilizations of AI
AI has been dominant in various fields such as −
• Gaming − AI plays a crucial role in strategic games such as chess, poker, tic-tac-toe, etc., where the machine can think of a large number of possible positions based on heuristic knowledge.
• Natural Language Processing − It is possible to interact with the computer that understands the natural language spoken by humans.
• Expert Systems − There are some applications which integrate machine, software, and special information to impart reasoning and advising. They provide explanation and advice to the users.
• Vision Systems − These systems understand, interpret, and comprehend visual input on the computer.For example,
o A spying airplane takes photographs, which are used to figure out spatial information or map of the areas.
o Doctors use the clinical expert system to diagnose the patient.
o Police use computer software that can recognize the face of criminal with the stored portrait made by the forensic artist.
• Speech Recognition − Some intelligent systems are capable of hearing and comprehending the language in terms of sentences and their meanings while a human talks to it. It can handle different accents, slang words, noise in the background, change in human’s noise due to cold, etc.
• Handwriting Recognition − The handwriting recognition software reads the text written on paper by a pen or on screen by a stylus. It can recognize the shapes of the letters and convert it into editable text.
• Intelligent Robots − Robots are able to perform the tasks given by a human. They have sensors to detect physical data from the real world such as light, heat, temperature, movement, sound, bump, and pressure. They have efficient processors, multiple sensors and huge memory, to exhibit intelligence. In addition, they are capable of learning from their mistakes and they can adapt to the new environment.
Hence, We can say that artificial intelligence is playing an important role in human’s life as nowadays everybody depends on machines to complete their work asap. When Machine will work as a human then it will be easy, effective and fast. This technology will be in trend after some time as it is growing day by day.
For further details: